The Diocesan Institute of Sacred Music of Savona was founded in 1971 on the initiative of Maestro Don Renzo Tassinari, with the support of Msg. Parodi, the diocesan bishop. Don Renzo Tassinari (1918 – 1978), graduated cum laude from the Pontifical Institute of Sacred Music in Rome, where he studied in the 40s and 50s, under the mentoring of F. Vignanelli, Abbot Suñol, Casimiri, Refice, Ronga. Subsequently he graduated at the Conservatory of Milan with B. Bettinelli; he put into effect the proposals of the Conference of Perugia that he attended in 1969, with the aim of the creation, in the Italian dioceses, of facilities for training operators of the liturgy.
The Institute is placed in the heart of the diocese, in the cloister of the Cathedral and in the Sistine Chapel, and since 1974, has trained numerous organists and choir directors, using qualified teachers such as E. Traverso, associate since 1978, following the death of Maestro Don Tassinari.
Endowed by the founder in 1975, of a valid and functional Mascioni organ, various tools and by the time of his dead, also a rich library and other donations, the Institute has linked its activities with the presence in the Choir “Della Rovere”, in the Cathedral, remarking its importance in the diocese linked to the Cathedral liturgy and to the Bishop.